Topband: 3G0, TF4M, noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 3G0, TF4M, noise
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:38:02 -0500
I'm not going to whine about last night because I worked 4
new ones!!!!  But sure couldn't do any good with 3G0YP.

I was listening to the 40m op at 3G0 when he said QSY 160...
so I was there right from the start and stayed until they
left top band.  The best peaks were 339 if I exaggerate a
little!  Most of the time nil.  Yes, I know... most people
were hearing them very well.  Was anyone else in the
northeast U.S./Canada struggling with them or was it just
me?   There was a fairly pronounced propagation peak 1100z
- 1145z on 80m this morning... so maybe if we could get 'em
on 160 then...

From sunset until I discovered how to get rid of it
(~0300z), I was plagued by S9+ noise.  Classic 120Hz pulse
noise, AC power related in some way.  Then I discovered
whenever I transmitted at full power for a minute or two it
would go away and stay gone for 30 minutes or so!?  I made
sure to send some RF up the line every few minutes after
discovering that.  I had icing conditions at the time...
rain and below freezing temps.  I wonder if the noise was
being generated in on my antenna or tower somewhere.  The
whole thing sits beside a 46 kV power line.  Noise was not
a factor on copying 3G0, since I had discovered how to keep
it away by then.

TF4M made another attempt this morning.  I worked Thor at
1012z.  I didn't hear anyone work him after I did, but
didn't listen long.

Sun's up... time to sleep.  Looks like another all night
vigil for me tonight if I want to maximize my chances of
getting 3G0 in the log.

73,
Paul,  N1BUG