Topband: Re: S-meter

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: S-meter
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 02:27:15 +0000 (GMT)
I should make it clear that I always give reports by
ear - and well appreciate that S-meter readings are
totally meaningless, partly because of the lack of
calibration of receivers, but mostly because of the
differences in antennas. For instance, my transmit
vertical is some 20dB louder than my beverages - but
doesn't hear anything like as well.

My point in my post yesterday was that East Coast
signals that would normally be at S-meter pinning
levels using the transmit antenna were only S7 or
less. That meant that auroral absorption was well in
excess of 20dB here, which makes DXing difficult!

convinced that there is enhancement of signal paths
which are a certain (undefined) distance south of the
auroral zone. Occasionally, just occasionally, I find
myself in that sweet spot. And the rest of the time I
live in hope.

73 Roger
VE3ZI