Re: Topband: How'd you measure that?

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "VR2BrettGraham" <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: Topband: How'd you measure that?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:01:10 -0500
> Depending on how the measurement was made with the spec
an,
> there are tolerances & uncertainties that can add up to a
few dB.
> That power level is well above the instrument's noise
floor, but for
> an absolute measurement I would think that measuring the
voltage
> developed across a resistor would give the sort of
accuracy desired
> for serious power/distance comparisons.

Why does it matter anyway? Doubling the distance can mean
more than 10dB change in level, not 3dB. This isn't
freespace. The path loss is not in a linear relationship
with distance, and no one knows what the antenna efficiency
or pattern is anyway.

Mile per watt is a "fun thing". We shouldn't take it as a
standard that can be converted to distances other than the
one actually covered. Who cares if it is 10dB one way or
another?

73 Tom