Re: Topband: How'd you measure that?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How'd you measure that?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:20:04 +0000
N2EA asked:

Bill Tippett, W4ZV, of New London, NC correctly copied code word OMAHA from
the N2XE beacon transmitting with a peak carrier power of .0000406 watts.

Let's see, here.... that would be 40.6 microwatts. Which means you can measure one tenth of a microwatt, with some unannounced accuracy.

Not that I question your assertion...but for the instrumentation guys
among us, or merely the curious...  How'd you do that?

And how do you know you're right?

Depending on how the measurement was made with the spec an, there are tolerances & uncertainties that can add up to a few dB. That power level is well above the instrument's noise floor, but for an absolute measurement I would think that measuring the voltage developed across a resistor would give the sort of accuracy desired for serious power/distance comparisons.

73 & HNY, VR2BrettGraham