Topband: Gamma ray bursts

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Gamma ray bursts
From: Carl K9LA <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:08:00 -0500
W4ZV's posting about GRBs reminded me of the one back in 1998 that was caught on record on a VLF path. Don't know how much it affected 160m, but it sure affected VLF.

That GRB passed through our solar system on August 27, 1998. At the time the flare hit, the Earth was oriented such that the flare encountered the night-time side of the ionosphere. This flare originated from a distant star in our own galaxy about 23,000 light years away. As a result of this flare, the ionization in the night-time ionosphere increased to daytime levels.

Stanford University maintains a network of four VLF transmitters: one in Hawaii, one in Washington State, one in Maine, and one in Puerto Rico. The signal level of these transmitters is monitored at a site in Colorado. The path from Hawaii to Colorado went through that part of the night-time ionosphere that was hit by the flare. The quite strong VLF signal disappeared for a few mintues around 3:30 AM Colorado local time - that's exactly when the gamma ray hit. It didn't last too long, though - within 5 minutes or so the normal night-time signal level was back.

Carl K9LA