Re: Topband: 4-square phasing

To: "George & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>,"DAVID CUTHBERT" <DAVIDNNAN@MSN.COM>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 4-square phasing
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:41:37 -0500

> A regular balun or UnUn will also do the 180 degree
reversal job:
> Top of first winding to 270 deg line center conductor,
bottom to shield.
> Top of second winding to shield, bottom of second winding
is reversed phase
> coax center conductor connection.
> The transformer can go on either end of the line!

Just a quick note. I'm a little busy with work right now.

Be very careful what balun you use if you decide to invert
phase on the short legs. Many baluns are very poor on 160
meters and won't stand reversed connections. It also has to
be a choke or current balun. It cannot be a voltage type
balun. Some line isolators not only don't have anywhere the
impedance advertised, they also won't handle much power when
reversed. W2DU baluns are a problem also in this
application, because of core heating.

My advice would be to just bite the bullet and install the
same length cables, or better yet relocate the phasing unit
so you can have equal length 1/4 wl cables. I don't have
time to go into details, but that would be my own first
choice if it were my installation. I'd also use quality
cable like CATV hardline for runs that long. The SWR is
pretty high on the feedlines.

73 Tom