Re: Topband: HS72B

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: HS72B
From: wb6tza@socal.rr.com (by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:58:17 -0500

Milt spelled it out pretty completely from our standpoint. Since XZ0A, a low dipole is a staple item in my antenna bag.

HS72B has the additional issue of discrete local noise sources to try to hide from. XZ1N had noise, but not so much discrete noise like a single local leak. XZ0A was so quiet that at noon that on the north beverages you could hear the AC powerline buzz from the shore 7 miles away across the Indian ocean, and little else, The night time noise level was many S units higher, depending on the antenna, so the noise we are working to eliminate is propigated, in that situation. I dont think we are down to the propigated noise level at HS72B by many many dB.

current config at HS72B in order of performance at sunset
1: full size dipole up about 4-5 M under the trees
2: Low assymetric dipole 300M away- neck & neck with
3: dipole on ground - 1/3 size
4: K9AY quad with poor ground
5: half wave clean terminated beverage, North, west side
6: halk wave clean terminated beverage North, east side
7: half wave clean terminated beverage, South, west side

Ant 1 is most often best, 2,3,4 fight it out for second depending on directon, time of night and the noise situation of the moment. on 80, the K9AY works best most of the time, still better than the beverages- which are 1.2 wave bevs at 80M

the beverages rarely hear as well as the K9AY, & often the big dipole is 6 dB S/N better than either.. that is you hear em in the dipole and dont on the others unless its louder signals

have tried several other beverage combinations that did not function usefully. All beverages showed VSWR at 1.5 or so 1500-3000 Khz, so terms working even tho ground connection poor. All beverages tried are Beverage On Ground, if you consider the surface of a dry cracked clay field with half dead grass "ground"

several items impacting beverages. we have a common area for the tx and rx antennas, every beverage crosses several radials of the 160 and 80 antennas, very bad practice, but unavoidable here. Only had one substantially separated, and it did not work at all, we believe because it ran parallel and within 150 ft of the triple stack 240KV lines - the lines effectively shielded the beverages- not all that much noise, just no useful signal.

had a second K9AY quad up at the start, it turned out to be closer to the discrete noise sources & was useless

Yesterday, I pushed the envelope of our hosts tolerance and ran 300M of rg6 across the way up to the north face of a facilities building & hung a lopsided dipole in the parkway trees.. about 4-5 M high, 1/4 one side 1/10 the other side. On average, it hears less power noise from a discrete source, but, unless the really bad buzz is on, does not out perform the original full dipole

Last night, N5IA was marginally better on this antenna than the big dipole, but not by much, and it was 2-3 letters each peak.... sorry couldnt drag anyone else out.. my ears are still ringing.

I will be on steadily from 11Z to 16Z barring trouble the next 3 nights.

I am very interested in 9V1GOs experiments. I also wonder if high angle efficient transmit antennas might do well. I guess the ideal would be a full half wave dipole a half wave high over water. it should be possible to chose a length of radiator in a vertical that nulls the low angle energy, but that may require use of my balloon lifter to get to 3/4 wave element length

I also have to note for comparison that the tx "ERP" from HS72B is at least 6 dB below "full performance" - 4 dB in power and at least 2 dB in ground system, and 1 or 2 in tree absorbtion... once I saw how the TX/RX signal ratios were, I stopped working on making the TX louder. I estimate that XZ0A was within about 1dB.. We could have put out more lower resistance radials, or better, elevated them to flat and tuned them, but it hardly seemed necessary for such a trivial signal increase at XZ0A, and here, it would be adding insult to injury to be louder.

Ill be following this thread with considerable interest.... more trips to Asia are on my to do list.

(Where is there a 160 specific most wanted list? especially by continent?)

no more on this from me until I get home, getting buried in projects to clean up. Milt and Bill have explained this quite well, I think

robin, wa6cdr@hs72b