Re: Topband: Beverage grounding over rock

To: "Dave NØRQ (lists)" <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>,"Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage grounding over rock
From: "Brad Rehm" <brehm@ptitest.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:40:22 -0600
"I can only get a ground rod in about
1 foot.  There is a standard barbed wire fence going by less than 10'
away,
with normal T-posts.  Would hooking to it as a ground be of any use?
Or,
Should I just use 4 or 5  1' ground rods?

"Dave NØRQ"

Dave,

In central Texas, we have very rocky soil along the west side of an
earthquake fault.  Ground rods have to be driven in at a 30° angle so
that they'll slide between the layered limestone in the soil.  This
might work for you if you're located over the same old seabed.

Be careful when you do this.  I've had them go in at 30° and then turn
upward and return to the surface after hitting a rock.  I gave one rod
a few final wacks with a sledge hammer and felt the other end kiss my
backside with each stroke.  It had bent into nearly a complete circle,
with my body filling the last few degrees of the gap.  It wouldn't
have been a pretty sight if I hadn't realized what was happening.

I wouldn't touch the barbed wire fence.  It's likely to be a source of
noise because of rusted joints and random currents flowing through the
fence between locations where the earth is at different potentials.

73,
Brad, KV5V