Topband: 160m 1/4 wave balloon vertical revisited

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160m 1/4 wave balloon vertical revisited
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:38:00 -0800 (PST)
Okay, I have the ability to loft 1/4 wave of wire on
 160m (just in time for next weekend). I'm planning on
 elevated radials. I'm using a base from an MFJ-1792
 vertical (40-80m vertical) for tethering and feeding
 the 135' vertical wire (easier than doing my own
 SO-239 jazz).

 However, the MFJ1792 base has a nice coil from center
 to ground on the base, measuring ~92 ohms at 3.5 Mhz,
 and ~252 ohms at 7 Mhz. At 1.8 Mhz, ~45 ohms. I
 *think* mfj intended this to do two things
 1) Bleed any static off the vertical
 2) Provide a better match to the usual 50 ohm
 impedance that most rigs like
 Of coures, the MFJ 1792 manual calls this a "loading
 coil", and doesn't mention anything more.

 I intend to add a much larger coil in series with the
 stock one, with a switch (might want to try it on 40
 sometime) to short it in and out. My intent is to use
 the additional coil to provide low DC resistance for
 static avoidance, yet provide a high resistance at
1.8
 Mhz. The coil I wound on my 2" form (PVC, the grey
 kind) I calculate to be around 72uH, or around 800
 ohms at 1.8 Mhz -- is this enough? Or, should I just
 use some 100K resistors?

-Brian N9ADG