Re: Topband: Vertical SWR problem

To: JSimon@GrahamDunn.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical SWR problem
From: DVoss@t-online.de (Dieter Voss)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:25:13 +0100
Hallo Jim, hello together,

the problem with the V160 is, that the resistance over perfect ground is about
11.5 Ohms. The tuning unit uses - as far as I know - only a loading coil.
By using this with a good ground system you will never get usable SWR. If you
use a bad ground the SWR is OK, but you fire 3 quarters of your power to heat
the earth.
2 Solutions:
* LC Network for matching (C to ground on the coax-side)
* 4:1 UNUN between loading coil and coax (option: elevated radials)

The V160 I took to TX9 was matched by a 4:1 UNUN and loading coil. As ground
2 elevated radials were used.

73s Dieter, DL3KDV