RE: Topband: TOP HAT GUY WIRES

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: TOP HAT GUY WIRES
From: "R. Kline" <k7nj@zahav.net.il>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:48:15 -0600
I've used ultra-violet resistant self-vulcanizaing tape for many years with
no apparent degradiation.  This was in 4X where ultra-violet intensity is
extremely strong. The tape was manufactured by "Scotch". I don't recall the
specific  catalog number, but  It was not an "el cheapo" tape.  It was
professional quality that was listed in the Scotch catalog as being
ultra-violet resistant. I bought it at a wholsaler for electricians'
supplies. I might add a word of caution. Some of the sulf-vulcanizing tapes
are slightly conductive.  I won't go into the reasons for that here, other
than saying that it is intentional and mentioned in the catalog.  So do
beware when choosing these materials.  You don't want to use the slightly
conductive tape in an RF field because you can get heating that damages the
tape (and may use up some energy - albeit usually not a significant amount).
I learned that lesson the hard way!
73,
Riki, K7NJ - 4X4NJ