Re: Re: Topband: Analog to Digital converter for 1.8MHz

To: <jkaufmann@alum.mit.edu>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Topband: Analog to Digital converter for 1.8MHz
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 21:01:50 -0700
John, you hit the nail on the head. Here is a good article on the
subject:

http://images.rfdesign.com/files/4/0599ANDERSON56.pdf

Clearly specifying #bits isn't enough. Noise and non-linearities
are a major consideration. The article does hint that very high-
dynamic range digital receivers may be possible with certain
types of converters, but I'd say its still too soon to throw away
the analog design books.