Topband: Re: 160 Receivers/ testing

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: 160 Receivers/ testing
From: "Lawrence Stoskopf" <stoskopf@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 03:05:37 GMT
All of this about the new components, block receiver design, etc. makes me return to my years old dream of having a receiver symposium at Dayton, just a day prior to the Hamvention, fully devoted to talks about receiver design, etc. Preceeded by a night of testing, say one of each stock receivers, and then whatever homebrew receivers people put together. I'll even pay for a trophy or two.

Rules are that you have to have a power point short talk reqady to present the next day if asked detailing what you have done and a short written summary for publication later by the League.

Testing something like: Measuring noise floor and adding enough attenuation to bring the RX floor to some common level. Then dynamic range and other testing from there. Close in measurements for both SSB and CW. Will leave designing those tests to Tom and the pros.

Symposiums such as the 4 Days in May thing and VHF and Microwavers are a real hit. An occasional 160 version could be a real blast.