Re: Topband: Polarity and Phase

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Polarity and Phase
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:55:30 -0400
> You are absolutely incorrect! First, you don't understand (or are
> unwilling to admit) that phase and polarity are different.

Hi Jim,

I have two antennas brought into phase feeding my receivers. I can combine
the receivers in mono.

1.) If I flip the speaker lead on one, I get a nearly-perfect audio null
(when volume levels are the same).

2.) With the audio flipped when I flip the RF connection on one antenna 180
degrees, the signal is back on a peak.

3.) Flip the audio back again to original with changing the antenna back,
and it is out of phase!

Additionally:

If I take two omni-directional antennas and run them into locked receivers,
I can create any pattern I like with phase shift in the receivers. If I
unlock the receivers (just a few Hz or less off), the effect is the same as
having constantly varying phase in the antennas. At any instant of time the
signals might be in phase, in quadrature, or out-of-phase.

If flipping phase on the audio output is not the same as flipping phase on
the RF input, why does the system behave this way?

73 Tom