Re: Topband: TRANSCEIVER WITH SEPERATE RECEIVER?

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,topband reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TRANSCEIVER WITH SEPERATE RECEIVER?
From: David Gilbert <rimradio@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:12:26 -0700
I always thought the major benefit of using two receivers was to feed each
from a different antenna, preferably one being vertically polarized and the
other horizontal.  I can't find the reports just now, but I remember reading
that folks who experimented with this concluded that some of the rapid QSB
we experience comes from shifting polarization on long skip signals.  This
wouldn't necessarily be related to phase, though.

The other technique, which is possibly what WB6TZA was referring to, is
summing the signals from two different antennas with a variable phase shift
to partially cancel noise coming from a particular direction.  I always
assumed the phase shift was done at RF but maybe it works just as well in
the audio chain.  I've never tried it.

I'm pretty sure both techniques require two antennas.

73,
Dave  AB7E