Topband: 3B9C distance challenge

To: Peter.Koehler@nau.edu, topband@contesting.com,n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: Topband: 3B9C distance challenge
From: Peter Koehler <Peter.Koehler@nau.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:00:45 -0700
Howdy All:

With the kind help of Earl K6SE and Milt N5IA this is what I compiled:

KA6W  S.F. area of CA                          17987 km  343 degree
heading

K7CA, N7JW, W7UT in SW UT  about  18023 km

KJ7WY north central AZ                          18258 km

N5IA, W7MCO   NM-AZ Border           18384 km

KC7V, W8AEF, N7RT
W7KW, N7US
Phoenix area AZ                             about  18425 km

N7DD Tucson, AZ                                    18525 km

W9NGA S.E. AZ                                      18553 km

AB7E  AZ-MEX border                            18563 km  27 degree
heading

This leaves some room for folks in northern Mexico and Southern Cal and
remember that even though these paths are further they are not as
difficult as the folks in Cal! I don't know about the Phoenix crowd but
it appears that Dave AB7E and myself KJ7WY were running only about
400-500 watts at the time of our QSO's . Funny thing for me, on 3/25z
they were stronger (59+10) either north (0 degrees) or south (180
degrees) on my phased verticals but didn't work them. On 3/26z they were
only 59 (noise was 56/57) and I worked them with my array broadside (90
degrees). My report was only a 57. This suggests that the little 160m
pistols from this area has a good chance for a contact. Kudos to all and
for those still waiting- may the propagation gods smile upon you!

73's Pete KJ7WY