Re: Topband: weird noises on 160m

To: <Dxhogg@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: weird noises on 160m
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:22:08 -0500
> AND THERE IS A DOUBLE FEMALE CONNECTOR THAT HAS A GROUND WIRE THAT RAN TO
THE
> METER BUBBLE. I REMOVED IT AND RAN IT TO A SEPARATE GROUND ROD AND ALL MY
NOISES
> ARE GONE. ONE BIG GROUND LOOP 73  RAY NR1R

You also just violated the national codes and set your house up for big-time
lightning problems!

You might want to back out of that solution and find some other cure like a
string of beads over the CATV drop or a large choke coil of CATV coax. Tie
your new ground in parallel with the old ground.

ALL cable and wiring ground wires entering a dwelling must have a common
point ground, otherwise you have a real fire and personal safety hazard.

73 Tom