Topband: the ionosphere in the sky

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: the ionosphere in the sky
From: Carl <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:19:02 -0500
Tom W8JI said

The ionosphere in the sky is apparently different
than an ionosphere on paper

That's a fair statement.

The ionosphere 'in the sky' varies quite a bit on a day-to-day basis. This day-to-day variation is due to solar radiation influences, solar wind influences, and neutral atmosphere influences. From what I've read, it appears that solar radiation influences are a small part of this total day-to-day variation - unfortunately this is the one we understand the best compared to the other two.

The ionosphere 'on paper' is a monthly median model, which is what is used in our propagation prediction software (VOACAP, W6ELProp, Proplab Pro, etc). It is statistical over a month's time frame. For example, we can say that 10m will be open on 17 days of the month to our target on a certain date at a certain time at a certain smoothed sunspot number. But we have a real tough time identifying which specific days of the month those will be.

Simply put, we do not have a daily model of the ionosphere. We can observe what's happening daily, but as of yet we can only statistically predict what's happening over a much longer time frame.

Carl K9LA