Re: Topband: 160m at solar max

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m at solar max
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:58:59 -0600
> My point was simply that based on W8JI's log data there's a lot of DX to
> be worked on 160m around solar maximum, and it appears to be dependent
> on how high in latitude your paths go. I think the concept of 160m only
> being 'good' at solar minimum has been ingrained in us for many years,
> and it has become somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Well, my experience over the past 20 years strongly support a big difference
between solar minimum and maximum.  But, I am in the high latitude category
and the aurora oval sits right between me and Europe.

It is a distant memory hearing the band full of Europeans, being able to call
CQ and have some of them calling me.  There were nights when I would work
15 Europeans.

Over the past 5 years, I have been lucky to work 5 Europeans during each
season.  I know they are there, because I hear others working them, and they
are spotted on the internet.

Maybe next year....

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net