Topband: 160m at solar max

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160m at solar max
From: Carl <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:00:53 -0500
Bill,

My point was simply that based on W8JI's log data there's a lot of DX to be worked on 160m around solar maximum, and it appears to be dependent on how high in latitude your paths go. I think the concept of 160m only being 'good' at solar minimum has been ingrained in us for many years, and it has become somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It sure looks like Tom's attitude toward 160m is "damn the sunspots, full speed ahead." Because of this, he had over 5000 DX QSOs in nearly 200 countries and with 40 zones around the peak of Cycle 23 when the smoothed sunspot number was above 100. A good question to ask is "How many of us thought this was even possible based on the lore we've grown up with over the years?"

> Your data does not include anything from the
> solar minimum years

That is correct. I have no doubt that Tom's log will show he worked many, many more stations during the last solar minimum than what I reported for the solar maximum period. In fact, in my original article on this topic, I even speculated that this would be the case.

I have no disagreement with this, either. In fact, I've been carrying a plot similar to the www.spacew.com/swim/bigstorm.html data for many years (mine is the number of days in the month that Ap is less than or equal to 7 vs the smoothed sunspot number), and have discussed its implications to high altitude propagation numerous times.

> Just for a little more data from all areas of the world,
> here are when current 160 records were set in the
> CQ WW CW by zone

With the major contest population areas being JA, NA, and EU, I am not surprised that most of the records are set at solar minimum. But I think this data bears more looking into.

Finally, my comment about the mid and low latitude nighttime ionosphere not showing much difference between solar min and solar max was based on two facts:

1. The nighttime D and E regions are the result of sources other than direct solar radiation: galactic cosmic rays, EUV in starlight, and scattered solar radiation. So it makes sense that the nighttime D and E regions shouldnt depend a lot on where we are in a solar cycle.

2. Incoherent scatter radars at low latitudes show that the nighttime E region ionization varies very little over a solar cycle. With absorption occurring in the lower E region at night, it then follows that absorption doesn't vary a lot over a solar cycle. Again, I'm only talking about paths that stay at mid and low latitudes.

Carl K9LA