Re: Topband: Strange conditions Sunday night

To: K8LV1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Strange conditions Sunday night
From: Peter Sears <w5ps@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:01:45 -0600
From here in the southwest it was one of the best nights going into Europe and the Middle East. The surprising part was when you work a 4X4 or a SV3 you usually get a whole bunch of callers from the East Coast, last night it was like I was the only one on the band except for Tom, W8JI. Europeans where everywhere and very loud but virtually no US callers. It was very enjoyable.

Peter
W5PS

K8LV1@aol.com wrote:

As a newcomer to 160M dxing, I am near the bottom of the learning curve relative to propagation on this interesting and perplexing band. Last night I witnessed an anomaly that is maybe fairly common to veterans, and I would like to know if there is an explanation which utilizes minimum quantities of snake oil.

I went on at about 0500Z and found a moderate amount of EU activity, with signals mediocre to weak. I easily worked everything I heard and was considering QRT when at about 0700 there were, fairly suddenly, several very strong EU signals (I recall F5IN, I2Z??, and the ubiquitous DF2PY). F5IN was CQing relentlessly, with only an occassional W6 QSO.I could not get a whisper from any of them and they were all working West coast only, giving out 449's and 559's only to them. I heard other midwest and some eastern stations having the same experience, some of whom I recognized as veteran DXers.

After making sure that the TX and antenna were still intact, I just sat there scratching my head. This lasted for maybe 15-30 minutes. Then these stations disappeared, or QRT'd (???) and there were a few normal (i.e. medium/weak) EU signals which I worked with no problems.

Some real interesting non-reciprocal propagation going on here.

73
Eric K8LV