Topband: Waveshape Filters

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Waveshape Filters
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:59:01 -0500
When I was playing with op-amp filters and a linear modulator, I found a
four section op-amp in a 100Hz low pass with each section's Q just over 1
was an almost perfect compromise between rise and fall time, envelope
overshoot, and bandwidth.

The problem with overshoot is it sets the peak envelope power, so the
average power has to be reduced. Amplifiers with unregulated supplies also
normally add some leading edge overshoot because they have more HV at the
start of each CW string.

Choke input supplies really give funny shapes, but don't add clicks.

73, Tom W8JI