Topband: JA's and other firsts on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: JA's and other firsts on 160
From: Greg Chartrand <w7my@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 05:05:15 -0800 (PST)
I can't resist to put my 2 cents in.

I remember hearing Stew and a few others calling CQ DX
every weekend. The local wisdom in the Chicago AM days
was the guy was nuts; DX was working someone further
than Ohio!

Then I began hearing some of the locals calling DX
as well, K9PAW, K9YWO, W9UCW and a several 8's I
knew like Wally W8LRL who had big signals.

In 1968 I moved into an apartment and had an agreement
with the landlord so I could put up an antenna. I
talked to Barry W9UCW and he made me one of his mobile
antennas in his father-in-laws barn.I took it home
and put it underneath 30' of Radio Shack TV mast in
and empty lot 400' of RG-58 away from my apartment.
I laid out some radials and began to call CQ DX on
weekends along with everyone else.

About 2 months later I get a letter in the mail from
Stew saying "Congratulations, you made it!". The
letter contained one of Stew's bull sheets with
my call underlined as a station heard in Europe.

I never had a 2-way from Europe from that location
the noise was terrible there. In any case just being
heard in Europe was enough to get me hooked for life!

Wally, good to hear from you God Bless,

Greg -W7MY
x-WA9EYY