RE: Topband: 160 Meters and ARRL

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: 160 Meters and ARRL
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:11:51 +0000

Why the ARRL constantly ignores 160 is beyond me. In the 70's, Prose Walker
told W2EQS and myself in written correspondence that 160 could be fully
returned to amateurs if there was any push at all. Needless to say there
wasn't any effort.

160 STILL hasn't been fully restored to amateurs. During the 30's the band allocation was 1715-2000. Briefly, before WW2 (I'm not sure amateurs ever actually got to use it before the war shutdown) 1715-1750 was deleted from the amateur spectrum, but 2000-2050 was added, giving a 300 kHz wide band, 1750-2050.

I remember back in the 60's when all we had 1800-1825 with 200w daytime/50w nighttime power limit, and the west coast had 1975-2000. Gulf Coast states were not allowed to use the band at all. QST and other ham rags were full of ads boasting of "all-band" 80-10m transmitters and receivers. A few hardy souls kept what little was left of the band active, so that interest didn't die out completely.

Don K4KYV