Re: Re: Topband: Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's

To: <W2pm@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Topband: Notes on early JA to East Coast QSO's
From: John Kaufmann <vze1t9xc@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:29:14 -0500
W2pm@aol.com wrote:

> Im just depressed as I can't hear anything when you boys are working those
> guys..

Working JA from the east coast is NEVER easy.  It's all about timing.  With the
exception of those few outstanding years I mentioned before, there are
typically just a very few days each year when there is JA propagation here,
generally in December-January.  You have to be on EVERY morning, hoping to hit
one of the right days.  Then when the right day comes along, there's just a
very short window, maybe 10 to 20 minutes long, when the JA's are workable,
usually starting just before sunrise.  There's also an element of luck, as well
as some skill, in breaking the piles because people to the west almost always
have better propagation.  However, I've managed to sneak in a few JA QSO's over
the years because the JA's would standby specifically for W1's.  Good luck!

73, John W1FV