Re: Topband: Interference questions dog broadband over power lines -more

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Interference questions dog broadband over power lines -more anti-ham radio propaganda
From: k3ky@erols.com
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:47:51 -0500

On 8 Jan 2004 at 9:33, jsb@digistar.com wrote:

> Interference questions dog broadband over power lines
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/governmenttopics/government/policy/story/0,10801,88829,00.html
>
> I like the way this guy panned the blame on ham radio operators...
>
> Be sure to send mailto:grant_gross@infoworld.com to let him know how you
> feel...
>
> 73 Jason N1SU

Quoting from the 2nd of 3 pages in the article, we have
a VP attorney with Current Technologies LLC saying this:

But Current Technologies LLC, which offers BPL service in the
Cincinnati and Rockville, Md., areas, can't find interference caused
by its system, said Jay Birnbaum, the company's vice president and
general counsel. Current Technologies uses a technology standard
called HomePlug, designed to not interfere with other radio signals.

"[Interference] just doesn't exist," Birnbaum said. "They based a lot
of their assumptions on outdated noise flow analysis."

Perhaps I slept through that class, but does anyone
else have the feeling that "noise flow analysis" is
more of a made up term than an actual radio engin-
eering discipline today? I have certainly never heard
that term before in any EMI/RFI discussions over the
years. Is there such a thing as "noise flow analysis"?
This sounds like pseudo-scientific, made-up
goobledygook to me. Comments?  73, David K3KY