Topband: Hygain Hytower

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Hygain Hytower
From: Greg Chartrand <w7my@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:47:53 -0800 (PST)
Greg,

The Hytower is a great piece of metal for playing with
variations of vertical and L configurations where
space is at a premium. The original Hygain coil at the
base was a disaster as ti flamed the main whip
insulators at about 200w of RF. The MK-160A fixes the
problem but would appear to create mostly a horizontal
probably high angle antenna.

I purchased a used Hytower a few years ago. My first
variation wasa to get rid of the insulators that burn
up so easily. I replaces them with plastic plumbing
pieces that provided a better electrical and
mechanical arrangement. I modified the whip to place a
coil and whip on top of the antenna and retain the 50'
height. As a coil loaded antenna it had all of the bad
charastics like a useful bandwidth of about 15 khz. I
got around the BW problem with a remote tuner
consisting of a motor driven vaccuum variable.

The next variation I'm planning is to remove the top
extend to about 70-80'. I will make a very low loss
coil to be located at the top of the tower between the
tower and whip.

All of this is for fun. The real improvement in any
configuration is reduce the ground losses i.e. improve
the radial system. I think any configuration that
reduces the horizontal radiation will assist you in
getting to the DX. That could include a "T"
arrangement at the top as well. I'm thinking of adding
a "T" element to my big whip arrangement as another
variation to try.

Addressing te other bands at the sam time can be
tricky. If your willing to put in a 2nd feedline, with
my variation you could keep the whip as the 160
element, match and feed it independently from the
tower

Seasons Greetings to all.

W7MY
Greg Chartrand