Topband: 160m T-wire vert

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m T-wire vert
From: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-1@dfwair.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:05:50 -0600
I'm hoping to build a good 160m xmit antenna, hopefully a vertical with a
T-wire at the top.

According to the ON4UN book, 3rd edition (which I love, by the way, but am
having problems digesting all of it, as well as having difficulties turning
great theory into aluminum and copper), pages 9-45 and 9-46 talk about a
"short" vertical with T-wire loading.  Figure 9-52 even gives a nice
drawing, but for 80m.

Realistically, I could put up about 60 feet of vertical tubing (possibly a
Rohn H-50 mast, with 10' of aluminum sticking out the top... unless that is
a bad idea for some reason), supported by good rope, and have reasonable
supports for the T wires, which would have to be (ballpark) 75-85 feet each
(modest slope down).  My question -- is that too much "T-wire" and not
enough true vertical for it to work well on 160m?  Obviously, at least
*some* of the thing has to really be vertical, but I couldn't figure out if
60' is enough to expect at least decent xmit performance.  Going higher
would be nice, but it starts getting difficult and expensive to build...

Comments appreciated.   (And thanks for putting up with rudimentary
questions from someone new to 160m!)

73, Dave NØRQ
n0rq-1@dfwair.net