Topband: KK7P DSPx module for 160m rx

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: KK7P DSPx module for 160m rx
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:00:17 -0400
Steve omitted TAPR's URL for the DSPx:

http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/Fdspx.html

For about the same cost, you may also want to consider
K6STI's DSP Blaster.  This is a $100 DOS software DSP
program by Brian Beezley which offers Coherent CW
in addition to the usual DSP functions.  Many EME guys
seem to prefer it over other DSP solutions with the
possible exception of SM5BSZ's Linrad which is more
customized for EME and requires a special sound card.
DSP Blaster requires a 16-bit ISA Soundblaster card
(I bought mine for $1.04 on eBay) and a 200 MHz Pentium
for full functionality.  If you have a suitable computer with
an empty ISA slot near your operating position, the
incremental cost is just over $100 for DSP that I suspect
is better than ANY internal DSP (including DSPx).

        I've been using DSP Blaster for a few months and
the Coherent CW feature is interesting.  Brian claims a
theoretical and measured 3 dB S/N improvement beyond
what you get simply by going to 50 Hz noise bandwidths.
There is also a waterfall display which is very interesting for
detecting signals floating in and out of the noise level.
Here's a URL for info about DSP Blaster:

http://www.setileague.org/software/dspblast.htm

N.B. the comments on Coherent CW at the bottom of that
page.  Brian's E-mail has changed but I can give it to anyone
interested.  He's still in the business of supporting DSP
Blaster and he spent about an hour on the phone with me
helping me get my computer configured correctly, in
addition to giving very prompt responses to my E-mails.

73, Bill W4ZV

P.S.  For anyone wondering, EY8MM was operating from
D44AC tonight and accidentally signed his own call a few
times while calling S9SS...that almost gave me a heart
attack the first time I heard it!  Nodir apologizes to all for
any confusion.