Topband: KK7P DSPx module for 160m rx

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: KK7P DSPx module for 160m rx
From: Steve Ireland <sire@iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 08:42:36 +0800
G'day

For those who are interested in using digital signal processing techniques
on 160m might be interested in looking at the KK7P DSPx module (and
accompanying KDSP10 interface adaptor) on the Tucson Amateur Packet Radio
Group (TAPR) website.  I believe this module is also used as a development
system in Wes Hayward W7ZOI's new ARRL book on the latest solid state
techniques.

The acclaimed DSP module for the Elecraft K2 (see past postings by Earl
K6SE for descriptions about its performance) is actually provided by an
adaption of the DSPx module.  A friend of mine who is a professional RF
engineer used an earlier version of the DSPx (the 'Easykit Lite') on a K2
and (subjectively) found its processing superior to any of the internal
DSPs on HF transceivers he had used.

All the above has piqued my curiosity to the extent that I have ordered a
DSPx to use as the backend of an experimental 160m receiver.  The intention
is this will be a very simple single-band (160m, of course)
single-conversion or direct conversion receiver, using an FST135 (or
similar) high dynamic range mixer.  All pipe dreams at the moment, of
course, but something to think about/do while the band is still so down.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ