Topband: Detuning Xmit Antenna while RXing.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Detuning Xmit Antenna while RXing.
From: dj2ya at t-online.de (Ulrich Weiss)
Date: Sun Jul 27 14:21:07 2003
hi Ernie,

Earl's answer and your last mail show that you have solved the switching
problem, but just let me draw your intention to a possible
misunderstanding... in your mail below you ask for a way to "unground" your
vertical on transmit and "ground" it on receive...
if your vertical is of the quarter-wave species you should do just the
opposite... the optimal detuning of a quarter-wave vertical is to "unground"
it (and disconnect the feedline) and move the radiator's resonant frequency
to its halve-wave frequency...
of course, if your vertical is a half-wave device (unlike on 160m) you must
"ground" it for detuning...
regards

Uli, DJ2YA