Topband: Preliminary report on new AEA VIA Bravo analyzer

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Preliminary report on new AEA VIA Bravo analyzer
From: vze1t9xc at verizon.net (John Kaufmann)
Date: Mon Jun 30 14:45:22 2003
Tom Rauch wrote:

> I wonder if the AEA VIA uses selective detectors (receivers), instead of
> broadband detectors.

<snip>

> If they didn't use selective detectors, how did they reduce BCI??

The user manual for the VIA Bravo doesn't shed any light on whether the
detectors are frequency selective or broadband.  The fact that the manual does
mention the possiblity for RFI in discussing uses for the built-in spectrum
analzyer seems to indicate the detectors are not selective.

I just thought of a test I can perform as a check on interference immunity.
I'll connect the analyzer directly to the output of my RF signal generator.
The analzyer should try to measure the output impedance (50 ohm nominal) of the
generator.  Then I'll crank up the generator output level until I see some
signs of disturbance in the analzyer reading.  I believe my generator can put
out up to 0 dBm or so.  I'll do this for various frequency offsets between the
analzyer measurement frequency and the RF generator frequency.  I'll report the
results next week after the long weekend.

> What is the reactance and impedance range?

The user manual only says it can be used for impedances up to 2000 ohms, but
doesn't distinguish between resistance and reactance measurement capability.  I
quoted AEA's claimed measurement accuracy specs in my previous post and you'll
note that it merely says "for indication only" for impedances greater than 500
ohms.

I'll try to get some more measurements for higher impedance loads.  My General
Radio bridge can only measure resistance up to 1000 ohms, but reactances up to
several thousand ohms at 1.8 MHz, so it will be of somewhat limited use as a
benchmark for comparison.

On the subject of analyzer measurement accuracy, I received an e-mail from
W8WWV who has some very interesting analyzer comparison information on his Web
site
(http://www.seed-solutions.com/gregordy/Amateur%20Radio/Experimentation/EvalAnalyzers.htm).
  I'm sure he won't mind my publicizing his site.

73, John W1FV