Topband: 4 sq question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 4 sq question
From: D.Raymond at motorola.com (Raymond Dave-CSUS04)
Date: Tue May 6 12:30:42 2003
Greetings topbanders. . .

I am contemplating putting up a 160 mtr four square this summer using
shortened elements.  The element I'm considering consists of 70' of Rohn 25
with a 30' horizontal top loading wire.  The top loading wire would be tied
off to one of the other towers (not across the diagonal).  The inductor to
resonate the element would be placed at the top between the tower the the

My limited experience modeling shows the element to be pretty close to omni
directional (within 0.5 db or less).  My question is this. . . would the
presence of the top loading wires upset the current flow to the point where
it would upset the phasing of the array?  Would an array with this kind of
element be valid for a 4 square?  If not, I can use the top portion of the
guy wires as drooping radials with some modest sacrifice in Rrad (and an
increase in L required to resonate).  My preference, however, would be to
use the horizontal wires.

Comments anyone?

73. . . Dave
W0FLS