Topband: SP Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: SP Propagation
From: Telegrapher9@aol.com (Telegrapher9@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:44:29 EST
Interesting propagation during the Stew Perry. The QRN level here was S-3
during the ARRL 160 M and S-9 during the SP. I couldn't tell if signals were
weaker in the SP or if they were just buried in the noise. It didn't sound
like thunderstorm QRN as there were now crashes- just a steady roar. What was
the origin of the QRN during the SP?

On another subject. Tom, W8JI, would a resistive shunt solve some of these
amplifier stability problems? On a Ten Tec 30 meter QRP rig I installed a 150
ohm resistor across the antenna terminals to stop an oscillation around 8
MHz. The resistor value could have been much higher but I wanted lots of
margin and am willing to burn a couple of dB of signal during casual QRP
operation. I figured the engineer at Ten Tec did all of the design and
testing into a 50 ohm load and didn't check for unconditional stability. This
makes me wonder about Ten Tec in general. Bad to risk the reputation of the
good rigs to sell a few cheap rigs.

   Dave WX7G

multipart/alternative
  text/html