Topband: Propagation during the Stew Perry

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Propagation during the Stew Perry
From: W9UCW@aol.com (W9UCW@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:04:19 EST
Openings to Europe are few and far between here in the south tip of TX. When
I lived in No. Illinois I was envious of New England and the eastern
seaboard. In the last 13 years I've added most of the area east of the
Mississippi to my envy list.....especially in the last few years. This last
week was an exception. Around the 21st and 22nd Europe was good here, late,
as usual (0500-0700), but good. I was further encouraged on the morning of
the 27th to work JT1CO about 10 minutes before sunrise, looking the other
direction. During the S.P., Europe was really coming thru well. I worked 15
and heard more in the couple hours I was on. When I checked the band in the
morning, JA's were very weak. I worked a couple but it was not as good as the
usual conditions to the west, by a long shot. JA's are usually there every
day.
Considering the posts about conditions, I feel lucky to have been in "The
Promised Land" this last week as far as Eu is concerned. I wonder what those
of you who really know a lot about  the subject have to say to shed more
light on the patterns observed.
On another "thread", I was one of those "casuals' in the test this weekend,
and posted a few stations I heard on the Summit, via the internet. Reading
the posts on that subject might make a person like me feel bad about adding
to temptation....but no, I don't. Afterall, what we accomplish, and under
what rules we do it is most important only to ourselves. If someone breaks
the rules of a contest and benefits in the results, who will be hurt? Who
will feel they can hold their head up and who will look at the ground. And,
in the long haul, will it matter to anyone but themselves? I don't think so.
73's and best DX, Topbanders, Barry, W9UCW

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---