DXRE: Topband: ARRL 160 contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: DXRE: Topband: ARRL 160 contest
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:34:22 -0800
Rick Karlquist    N6RK
richard@karlquist.com
www.n6rk.com
www.karlquist.com

> My feeling is.. If you didn't honor the following rule:
>
> 6.1. The segment 1.830 to 1.835 should be used for
> intercontinental QSOs
> only.
>
> NOTE the word "SHOULD"
>
> I'm sure people will say, It doesn't say MUST, or other analogies.
> Then you were in violation of the rules. If you knew this
> was a rule... then
> you should not have made a contact (in good conscience) in
> that area of the
> band. I made a point of NOT making any there.
> Even if my score suffers.. I can look in the mirror with a
> clean conscience.
> If everyone did that.. nobody would be in there.  It's in the RULES.
>
> Tom AE9B

I think part of the problem is interpreting the rule
correctly.  First of all, the often used words
"DX window" do not appear in the rule.  Secondly,
it seems to me that rule permits calling CQ DX
in the segment.  Someone must call CQ DX
or there would be few QSO's.  Now, I have heard
some people implying that only "DX stations"
(whatever that means) may call CQ DX.  The rule
makes no such distinction.  What it does say is
*intercontinental* QSO's.  However, I frequently
hear North American stations in the Caribbean
area running the east coast of the USA in the
segment.  I never hear any complaints about that.

It seems that many people are of the opinion that
the rule doesn't say what it says.  Perhaps the
wording of this rule should be changed.

BTW, on other bands, it seems to be OK to call
CQ DX in the so-called DX window.

Rick N6RK