Topband: ARRL 160 contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL 160 contest
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:51:14 -0500

> With regards to the window, the problem is DX stations don't QSX OUT
> of it like we did in the "old days."
>
> There are two solutions to this "problem."
>
> 1)      Forget the window
> 2)      Try to educate DX stations to QSX up or down the band.

Amen.

Craig hit the problem right on the head, at least so far as DX is
concerned.

The real problem is many people who rarely work 160, or who are
parked on a coastline with all the US behind them, "think" 160 is
like 80 or 40. Factually if you are inland, DX signals are not that
strong and local signals are devastating.

160 is a band where DX should always be split, unless it is a ragchew
among friends. This is especially true in contests.

Simplex DX operation in a 160 contest is just plain silly, unless we
want only the big stations to work DX.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com