Topband: LOOP ANTENNA update

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: LOOP ANTENNA update
From: k3ky@erols.com (k3ky@erols.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:06:41 -0500
On 11 Nov 2002 at 20:35, Dan wrote:

> Hello ALL
> Thankyou for the return letters about my loop antenna.
(snip)
> So my questions are
> 1 Since this loop is closer to the 160 meter band will it be better for DX?
(snip)
> Prefer no radials.
(snip)
> Thanks
> Dan W0VD
> w0vd@arrl.net

Hi, Dan-
If you are trying to come up with a good 160m DX
antenna, the loop will probably be only so-so.
Think vertical!  I highly recommend you take a look
at EI7BA's antenna page:
http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/low_band_antennae.htm

He has had good success with some vertical
dipoles with top loading that do not work against
a field of radials (although some ground radials
below the antenna might improve its performance).
Note that this antenna is *not* impossibly tall on
160m due to the top loading wires. If you try this
one, you may be pleasantly surprised. Leave the
loop antenna up. Compare them. I bet the loop
comes down and the vertical stays.  :o)
73, David K3KY