Topband: front end protection

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: front end protection
From: NX4D@comcast.net (Doug Waller)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 02:12:10 -0400
> The problem of protecting the rx front end while transmitting is a simple
one.
> Its very important NOT to use an extra RX jack (which most Radios have
these
> days)for beverage connection>    73 de wolf  -df2py-

The easy way to protect the RX only front end is to shunt the receive only
jack externally, with two switching diodes connected polarity reversed.
I.C.E. uses this config. successfully in their preamps.

IN914/4148 type, 75piv diodes were available a year ago from Radio Shack at
10/$1.50.  I believe these shunt at 1.7 volt and they seem to have no effect
on weak signal performance, when inserted in the coax lead-in system.

73, Doug / NX4D