Topband: Source for radial wire?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Source for radial wire?
From: gmguerin@voyager.net (George & Marijke Guerin)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 18:22:32 -0400
Gentlemen:
    I prefer not to use aluminum fence wire for radials, as the aluminum is
very reactive with soils and makes many wet cells.... corroding rather
quickly.  I believe surplus "hook-up" wire, with a plastic jacket is a lot
safer, and lasts longer, as does enameled copper wire.  Galvanized fence
wire seems to hold up OK as well, and can be embedded in concrete, as both
are slightly caustic... Ph is about 9 for both zinc and concrete.  Also, if
your lawn is acidic, it can be treated with lime to raise the Ph, which will
help eliminate some grubbs as well as keeping galvanized wire longer.
    73 & Good luck,
George    K8GG