Topband: Re: Topband: Shielded, Balanced Flag

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Topband: Shielded, Balanced Flag
From: herbs@vitelcom.net (Herbert Schoenbohmj)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:19:58 -0400
I found that by feeding a pennant with a 1/4 wave (electrical) of 300
ohm twin lead and then a short run of RG-58 with a choke coil of 30
turns worked exceptionally well for me.  This takes care of the
impedance transformation as well.

On the other hand some time ago I had a nice run of  70 ohm triax  where
in I floated the far end and had both sheilds connected at the shack to
form a Faraday shield.  This seemed to reduce the coax pickup
considerably as the coax (actually tri-ax) was 1/4 wave length long
electrically.

I did not make any A/B tests but probably should have to give real world
results.  I did this because I was in the close proximity of a 5 kW BC
station and wanted to cut down on stray pickup as much as possible.

Herb (ex-KV4FZ)
St. Crook, VI