Topband: Help!!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Help!!
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:41:24 +0100
I received the following messge from Paul ET3PMW (slightly edited):

>Hi Bill,
>Since you helped get me into the 160/80 mess, now I need your help!!  Just
>kidding of course.  This finds me in bed with some kind of a flu bug.  It
>started last night in the middle of the night.  My first mistake this
>morning was not listening to my wife.  She didn't feel I should get on the
>air but being the stubborn Wyse that I am I wouldn't listen!  It was by far
>the best morning I have had, 15 Q's on 160 and 14 on 80.  I worked a couple
>of new states on both bands.  I now have 20 states on 160 and 24 on 80.
>
>I have never heard such a pileup on 160.  It was solid for three to four
>Khz!  The problem I encountered is that they just keep calling and I am not
>able to get complete calls even when I ask for them.  The saying to listen
>more and transmit less would help!  My CW leaves a lot to be desired. I'm
>operating at or above the speed that I can comfortably copy.  If anybody
>sends me more than a signal report, I will probably miss it so it's really
>wasted time.  Because every one keeps calling I have a number of broken
>calls in the log.  I try to send the stations call again when I sign.  Is
>it asking to much for others to do the same?  I work split so the stations
>working me can hear me.  Is it asking too much for the calling stations to
>also standby so I can work the stations.  I'm sure my signal is very weak
>and an Amp should help but will it really as I push the limits of contacts
>farther West!  My third problem is some stations keep calling me every day.
>I have at least one big NE station that's in the log three times.  I tried
>to ignore him this morning but he is some much louder that the average
>station that I have to work him to get him out of my hair!
>
>Now the work begins, I have worked a lot of the big boys and now
>every one in right down in my line noise.  This morning it was S7 to 8.
>Dale gets here Sunday but he also has hearing problems so not sure what our
>success rate will be.
>
>Thank you for listening, I'm sure part of it is that I'm feeling lousy but
>at least I got it off my chest.  Remember my setup is pretty simple and the
>ICOM 706 doesn't have the best receiver by a log shot but it is interesting
>what can be done with less than super station.
>
>Paul.

        YOU all can help if you will begin acting like the gentlemen
I hope most of you are.  LISTEN AND DO NOT CALL if he is replying to
someone.  If you don't do this, I know of other ways to deal with
it that will sort out those who CAN hear from those who CANNOT,
but first let's see if we can clean up our act!  As you can see from
Paul's message, he is operating under less than ideal conditions and
he needs our help to make as many QSO's as possible.  We can do
better guys!

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  It's also shameful that anyone is duping Paul.  Also, if you
already worked Rudi DK7PE from 9F2CW ten years ago, I hope you are not
calling Paul while others still need it for a new one!