Topband: DSP and Digital Filter Effectiveness for Summer Static?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DSP and Digital Filter Effectiveness for Summer Static?
From: k1jj@snet.net (Tom Cathey)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 02:47:01 -0400
Hi Top Banders,

Now that the summer static is upon us, and the new DSP rigs have been out
for awhile, I wonder if anyone can offer opinions as to the effectiveness of
DSP and digital filters for receiving weak signals in summertime static?
(lightning generated static)

I use an older FT-1000D and find the filter ringing at 500hz and lower so
offensive that I always use the 2kc for CW!  I understand that the digital
filters have no ringing at all in the narrow mode.

Ques: Does using a NARROW 250-500hz non- ringing digital filter help the S/N
vs: a wider 2kc  non- ringing ceramic/xtal  filter when listening in heavy
static?

For some reason, the S/N does not seem to improve as I narrow things down,
but this may be masked by the ringing, not sure.

Also, just how effective ARE the other DSP bells and whistles at improving
the S/N in heavy static? Some say it works and others say nay. I'm talking
about I.F. internal based DSP, not external, audio boxes.

And, if you happen to use an FT-1000D or other non-DSP rig, , I wonder what
particular overall settings you find works the best in static?

Thanks.

73,
Tom, K1JJ
CT