Topband: Inverted V Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted V Antennas
From: k6se@juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:54:38 -0700
Don, W7DD wrote:

"A question came up about the ground specifications I gave for Tucson,
Az.  The answer is YES, they were correct.  They were acquired from the U
of A here in Tucson.  Tucson is ringed by copper mines.  There is a large
amount of alluvial copper deposits in the soil here.  The worlds largest
open pit copper mine is just south of me."
==========
Wow!  That explains why Don's neighbor Larry, N7DD does so well on 160m
from Tucson.

With the corrected soil conductivity of 1.5 s/m (and assuming an Inv-V
actually does have both horizontal and vertical components), here are the
EZNEC v3.0 results for Don's antenna (all gain results are for an
elevation angle of 20 degrees):

Resonant frequency = 1.880 MHz
Horizontal gain = -2.88 dBi
Vertical gain = 1.58 dBi (4.46 dB > horiz)
Gain of a vertical antenna = 4.07 dBi

73, de Earl, K6SE