Topband: Inverted V antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted V antenna
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 11:51:37 +0800
At 08:52 AM 5/05/2002 -0700, you wrote:

W7DD said:
>I think we are forgetting that an Inverted V antenna is a vertical antenna
>and a horizontal antenna.  As a vertical antenna, it is a pretty fair
>vertical.
>
>Don

VK6VZ said:

Hi Don,

There is some small (high angle, I think) vertically polarised radiation
off the ends of an inverted vee - and a flat-top dipole - but it basically
a horizontally-polarised high-angle antenna radiator at the heights most of
use it at on 160m.  I like what ON4UN wrote about it in his 'Low band
DXing' book (see pages 8-18 and 8-19).

"In the past, the inverted-V shaped dipole has often been credited with
almost magical properties.  The most frequently claimed 'special' property
is a low radiation angle.  Some have more correctly called it a poor man's
dipole, as it requires only one support."

ON4UN continues later in the section: "Previous paragraphs compare the
inverted-V to a straight dipole at the same apex height.  At low heights
(0.25 to 0.35 wavelength) the gain difference is minimal, but at heights
that produce low angle radiation, the dipole performs substantially better."

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ