Topband: Inverted V antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Inverted V antenna
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:39:17 -0400
> I think we are forgetting that an Inverted V antenna is a vertical
> antenna and a horizontal antenna.  As a vertical antenna, it is a
> pretty fair vertical.

Hi Don,

That's a common perception, but it isn't totally true. There isn't
significantly more tilt to the horizontal component in an Inverted
Vee dipole than in a conventional dipole at the same effective height
broadside to the antenna.

The main change offered by an Inverted Vee dipole is a slight
increase in signal level off the ends, and a slight lowering of the
effective height of the antenna. Broadside to the antenna it is all
horizontal polarization, just like a regular dipole.

Even perfectly horizontal dipoles have a tilt to polarization as we
move away from broadside. Directly off the ends, all radiation is
vertically polarized but it is well attenuated.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com