Topband: Power Coupling for K1B

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Power Coupling for K1B
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 05:52:16 -0400
>      K1B is at a low latitude where the field is within 2 degrees of
> being horizontal, much like the situation at Togo during the 5V7A
> DXpdedition that I mentioned in a recent posting.  The data given
> below shows the large (>10 dB) insertion loss for E-W propagation with
> a vertical antenna.  In that regard, it would be of interest to
> examine the K1B 160 meter logs to see the extent to which E-W
> propagation was affected.

K1B's signal from their Battle Creek vertical for the last few days
has almost continuously been significantly stronger than VK3ZL, who
generally is the the best signal from VK and the area around VK.

Off-peak, K1B is about 8dB louder than Bob. Around the propagation
peaks at sunrise, the signals get closer in level but K1B still
generally has the edge. Bob is still a few dB louder on his 40 foot
vertical than his 100 foot high dipole.

Of course we have no idea how efficient any of these antennas are,
but a dipole at 100 feet should be nearly 100% efficient.

It would be interesting to hear other reports of comparisons in other
areas of the world, since signal comparisons are much more reliable
than logbooks for determining performance.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com