Topband: XR0X top band summary

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: XR0X top band summary
From: mikemr@nwlink.com (Michael Mraz)
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 23:30:57 +0000
K5AB and I had a blast working you all from XR0X --- we hope you'll find this
summary interesting.

=====================
Although we chose the second maximum of sunspot cycle 23 to operate from San
Felix Island, we still wanted to make a serious effort on 80m and 160m. Our
equipment on top band included an excellent Battle Creek Special antenna
(thanks George, George, and Charlie!), an ICOM 756PROII transceiver and an ICOM
PW-1 1kW MOSFET amplifier with built-in auto-tuner. Many thanks to ICOM America
for the generous transceiver and amplifier loan (a total of 6 radios and 2
amplifiers!). The island was a DXpeditioner's dream, with wonderful mild
weather reminiscent of southern California in springtime (with just a few
millimeters of rain), and spectacular high-bank seaside station locations that
were >fantastic< for radio performance and provided stunning views of the
Pacific.

We began operating 160 just 12 hours after the expedition went on the air. The
first top-band QSO was with XQ1ZW (appropriately), and the first two NA QSOs
were W6UC and K1ZM a few minutes later. The first two nights on the band (17/18
March UTC) were fine, but the best opening of the expedition was probably the
night of 19 March UTC, even though this night provided little relief from the
heavy thunderstorm QRN that we experienced throughout the operation. At around
1050z, I began calling for JAs, and at 1051z JA1JRK was the first JA in the
log. We're fairly certain that this was the first QSO in history between JA and
CE0/X on 160. The thunderstorm crashes disappeared around 1100z (implying that
the source was east of us, on the SA continent), and there was a >very<
pronounced gray-line enhancement during the last 10 minutes before sunrise.
During those 10 minutes, the JA signals were so strong that the band sounded
more like 20 than 160. As expected, the sunrise (in the direction of San
Ambrosio, ~1130z) extinguished all signals ... the end of an unforgettable
operating shift on 160!

We worked our first EU the following night, and of course it was ON4UN (nice
work John), but incredibly we worked only 2 EUs during that opening. The
following nights, 21/22 March, were the best openings to EU and we were very
pleased to be able to put a total of 70 EUs in the log. Unfortunately, we never
again experienced the strong pre-dawn gray-line enhancement; indeed the band
tended to die about an hour (sometimes two) before our sunrise, a great
disappointment! Deep long-period QSB was present throughout our operation, as
expected, and although conditions were not ideal, we were able to put stations
in the log every night of the expedition.

Here's a summary of the results:

Cont.   QSOs    %
EU      70      11.31%
JA      18      2.91%
NA      491     79.32%
OC      9       1.45%
SA      31      5.01%
Tot.    619

I hope that we can return to San Felix during the upcoming sunspot minimum, to
work many more of you. Thanks for your support.

73  Mike  N6MZ