Topband: Lightning and Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightning and Beverages
From: k1jj@snet.net (Tom Cathey)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 19:51:50 -0400
Wow, this must be a commom occurance.

I use three, 1 watt 220 ohm resistors in series for terminators.

Every summer I go out and inspect these terminating resistors of my three
beverages and they are always gone - blown to bits.  There is no sign of
carbon, just wire leads hanging there. They must get a lot of induction when
lightning strikes the area.

I might try some bigger "glow bar" types if I can find them and consider the
flash tube idea too.

And to think I thought it was just bad luck all this time.

BTW, the new 3 el vertical parasitic array has  qty (240),  180' long
radials now and is working really fine...  very happy  with it....  :-)
Just wish there was more DX activity on the band to play.

73,

Tom, K1JJ