Topband: Lightning and Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightning and Beverages
From: k3ky@erols.com (k3ky@erols.com)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:44:06 -0400
On 28 Apr 2002 at 6:25, Donald Chester wrote:

> Spring is here, and the Beverage I put up in December didn't make it
> past the first round of spring thunderstorm.
>
> Don K4KYV

It so happens that I found an open terminating resistor on my
225ft 'shorty' Beverage recently. I tripped over the wire while
mowing the front lawn, breaking it off where it connects to
the ground rod and small radial field via a stainless steel worm
clamp. I took it inside to rework it and learned that the 1 watt
~470 ohm carbon comp resistor was open circuit. Interestingly,
the resistor shows no obvious outward signs of being open. On
very close inspection, the only giveaway is a small amount of
stain on one end. I assume that induction from nearby lightning
strikes led to its demise. BTW the transformer at the far end
appears to be OK but it is possible this fairly high perm 7/8 in
core might have been 'disaccomodated', so I plan to replace it
anyway. The termination is now two parallel 1K ohm, 2 watt
carbon comp units- let's see how long these last.  :o)

I have a few gas tubes lying around, so I may try KB9CRY's
suggestion, especially when I start experimenting more with
Vactrol terminations.  73, David K3KY